Friday, May 23, 2008

Disney World or Vortex


Over the past few days, I was able to spend some time with one of my bestest friends and her kiddos in Disney. Tracey and I took our children to Epcot, Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom and had a blast. However, I have a few points of wisdom (or maybe not wisdom but opinions) of this vortex created by good ol' Walt...

1.Nothing in Disney takes less than 45 minutes except for the actual ride which is less than 45 seconds... checking into your hotel room, finding your hotel room, actually getting into a park (parking, tram,monorail, tickets...), getting a meal, waiting in line

2.Parents lose all parental instincts once in the vortex, its like they forget that kids can't walk for miles, they can't live on ice cream, cotton candy and popcorn for 6 hours without real food, they can't have all five senses fully overloaded without the need of a nap, and they can't comprehend that you have spent a minumum of 300.00 for your trip and they better appreciate it with no whining, tantrums, full attention and a happy face. C'mon they are kids!

3. Every Disney ride exits through a gift shop, so every time you ride you then have the joy of ripping your child out of a shop full of characters and toys all related to the very experience you just hyped them up for while in line for 45 minutes.


Disney brings out the child in each of us. It is a place where you can truly see things through your kids eyes. I remember my trips to Disney and how huge and magical the place looked. I remember my dad coaching me through my first trip on space mountain and the pride I had when I stepped off the ride. I remember staring at the castle wondering if Cinderella was looking out at me. I remember my dad carrying me on his shoulders all over the park. I remember pictures with the characters. It is such an awesome experience to think about how my children see this place, how they will one day come as adults and see it through their children's eyes with the memories of our trips navigating their thoughts.

Like any other vortex, you are sucked in, but with Disney it is a blessing to be there at all.

No comments: