Monday, March 9, 2009

Full Hands

At least three times a day I hear "wow, you have your hands full", then the ever so polite person looks at my protruding stomach and goes "wow! another one? your brave"... so how does one take this?
Usually, I smile say something quick like "yeah, someone just left these poor kids on the road and I picked them up for the day" or if I am overly happy I just respond with a "yep, my hands are full of blessings"... but inside I am utterly pissed! This non-suspecting bystander just sent my world into a tail spin with their quick, unthoughtful comment. I mean when I read between the lines, it makes me think...."do my hands look really full, I mean too full for me to handle? are my kids giving the impression that I can't handle anymore? is someone considered brave for actually venturing out past the 1.9 children per household statistic? am I acting irresponsible in this person's eyes?" and the thoughts keep coming... while the oh so innocent passer by, goes on with their merry day, they have left a mother who tries her best to raise up a gift only God can give so that one day their will be a voice of truth still heard in the wake of our descending society....
and then one of the kids says something like "mom, can you be my mom even when I grow up and be a big person"
I come swirling back to reality and start to pity that person for missing out on the joy of parenting many kids because of the fear society has impressed upon them and the culture that had manifested into the typical "child hating" cliche "kids are so expensive", "I cant imagine having to deal with more than two", "I wouldn't have time for anything"...its sad but all of a sudden these precious babes that look at you with absolute unconditional love have become all about costing too much, taking too much of our precious time and being a burden...
Being a mom is not a walk in the park all the time, but I wouldn't trade smelling these roses for anything... I love having my hands full and hope others are brave enough to try it!

No comments: