Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Self Help

Our pastor gave a great sermon on Sunday on goal setting. During this time he talked about his book list for each year that he strives to read. I have a confession to make, I watch too much TV! I used to be an avid reader, reading about a book a week. Now I am down to a book a month if that!
Yesterday I was rushed to the ER with an obstructed bladder (a rare pregnancy side effect). They put in a Foley catheter that I have to wear strapped to my leg for two weeks. It is such a beautiful sight...ugh! While I was recovering yesterday, I finished the last half of a book I was trying to get through and found myself the most relaxed I had been in a long time. So here goes my goal setting... I have cut down my TV watching to 2 shows (ouch)... and upped my reading to a book every 10 days or so. I figure with some time off for kids, they new baby and just life that should give me about 30 books this year. I need your help. Give me your favorite books, I would love to read them and post my review. I love History, Non- Fiction, some fiction, Christian writing and short stories. My favorite books are 1. A Land Remembered (Florida History) 2. To Kill A Mockingbird 3. Family Drivin Faith 4. Snowflower and the Paper fan 5. Winds from the Carolinas ( History of British Colonials trying to colonize the Bahamas 6. Prince of Tides

Cant wait to start with some of your suggestions!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like everything that Karen Kingsbury writes (Christian fiction) and Beth Moore is always great, of course! You would love her book "Feathers from my Nest"... a book on Motherhood. John Ortberg is another good author for Christian living kind of books. The Shack was a good read as well as The Christmas Sweater. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

the book list was the thing that jumped out at me the most from that sermon as well. unfortunately i am TERRIBLE at reading non-fiction books. i haven't read too many of those, but i really loved Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller. another good one is Wild at Heart by John Eldridge. my favorite all-time book is The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom. i also loved Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt and pretty much anything by Francine Rivers.